(1) B-47 a-bomb fell on house in SC, first such accident (2) Los Angeles - automatic control of machine tool production line, using punched tape, developed by Hughes Aircraft Company (partial newsreel). ( 14 reviews )
(1) "Japan: Dramatic pictures of atom bomb damage in Hiroshima and Nagasaki foreshadow the coming Bikini Atoll experiment. Intense heat and light of blast scarred shadows of human beings on destroyed bridges!" scenes of visual evidence of atomic damage in Hiroshima (2) Italy Joins Democracies - "Italy: Following mass demonstrations and a democratic referendum, Italian voters cast their lot with the democracies and oust their king. The majority, who voted republican, wanted 'No... ( 1 reviews )
(1) Premier Charles De Gaulle visits Algeria, Dulles arrives in Paris, meets with De Gaulle of France (2) East Germany - hostages being held (3) Nasser arrives in Yuguslavia to meet with Tito (partial newsreel)
(1) Big 4 Foreign Ministers conference at Geneva, including Israel, Czechoslovakia; Dulles attacks Russia (2) San Francisco Radiological Defense Lab (3) doodle bug bikers (partial) (4) JATO helps radio-controlled plane take-off, with pictures from the drone (partial newsreel)
(1) "When the Yanks enter Godesberg they survey the Hotel Dresden, site of the famous Chamberlain-Hitler conference of '38 which was meant to avert war. To prevent the Huns from engaging in any more fighting, the Yanks disarm the citizens of all their weapons, including lances. U.S. Rocket Tanks - In the Rhine offensive, giant U.S. tanks mounting 60 rocket tubes lay down terrific rocket barrages either in salvo, or in rapid fire. Zweibrucken Captured - Gen. 'Iron Mike' O'Daniel's U.S. 3rd...
Truman Library dedicated in Independence MO, with Chief Justic Earl Warren, in Masonic ritual, also Eleanor Roosevelt and Sen. Knowland, Hoover and Truman shake hands, Truman with Churchill picture, and 1948 election newspaper photo (partial newsreel). ( 2 reviews )
"Philadelphia, PA: Senator Barkley fires the first big gun of the Democratic convention in his keynote speech. With the Roosevelt-Garner ticket sure, the big job ahead is the Democratic plank and to find substitutions for the legislation nullified by the Supreme Court should the ticket be successful in the fall elections - which augurs to be one of the bitterest fights of recent years." sound of cheering and Barkley speaking (some parts silent in this partial newsreel without... ( 2 reviews )
1) Michigan Ordanance Plant where Atlas missile built opened to newsmen; Thor missile built in Santa Monica now fully operational; recent launch of 3-engine Atlas at night soon to be operational (2) "New York" - Argentina Frondese visits NY, parade, mayor Wagner (3) 79th birthday of Douglas MacArthur, slices birthday cake (partial newsreel).
(1) Marines in Santo Domingo perimeter, 19,000 troops have arrived, waiting for OAS peace mission that has arranged truce, but fighting still in the streets, now 10 Americans dead, 49 wounded (2) "Captured Red Arms. Smuggled Equipment Taken In Vietnam" - SV attack red enclave, find cache of arms, classified by ICC, some bear Peking markings (3) Sports: Indy 500 race (4) England soccer Liverpool beats Leeds in overtime; Queen gives cup to victors (complete newsreel)
A documentary short film produced by the Great Britain Ministry of Information, released by the Office of War Information, distributed by the War Activities Committee of the Motion Picture Industry, introduced and narrated by Edward R. Murrow: "On the stamina of residents of Dover, England, during German bombing. Recounts two years of German aerial attacks on Dover and their lessening as England strikes back. Soldiers and citizens express confidences. Shows scenes of destruction and of...
(1) in Paris, Ike and McMillan and De Gaulle make farewells; "tumultuous press conference" of Khrushchev, points and shakes finger (2) AFL-CIO union industries show in Washington DC, 375 displays (3) German zoo Topic: newsreel